Smashed Chickpea salad on toast is so satisfying and scrumptious. It has a similar texture to tuna salad or chicken salad. The curry flavor added to this dish is savory and rich, but not spicy at all. This is a great meal to enjoy for breakfast, lunch, OR dinner. Enjoy!
Preparation + Cook Time: 25 minutes
Makes about 7 servings
- 2 15 oz Cans of Chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 C Vegan Mayonnaise (Vegenaise)
- 2 t Curry Powder
- 1/4 C Chopped Red Onion
- 1 Clove of Garlic, Minced
- 1 Stalk of Celery, Chopped
- 1 Shredded Carrot
- Juice from 1/2 of a lemon
- 1/4 C Fresh Chopped Cilantro
- Dash of Salt + Pepper
- A few Slices of Bread (I used Northern Bakehouse “Delicious Vegan & Gluten Free Seeds and Grains Bread”)
- Pour your drained/rinsed chickpeas into a large bowl. Mash them with a potato masher until completely mashed. Tip: I like to keep a few chickpea chunks in there for texture!
- Stir in the Vegenaise.
- Add the curry powder to the mixture. Make sure the curry is evenly incorporated into the chickpeas.
- Add the red onion, garlic, celery, carrot, lemon juice, and cilantro. Add as much salt and pepper as needed. This completes your chickpea salad.
- Toast the bread. Load the Chickpea salad on top of the toast. You may add any additional toppings that you like. I like to add radishes, sprouts, or avocado.
Benefits of this recipe:
-Chickpeas help control blood sugar levels, improves digestion because of high fiber content, helps protect against heart disease, is a good source of protein, and contains many beneficial vitamins and minerals such as zinc, folate, phosphorus, and B vitamins.
-Celery helps lower cholesterol, lowers inflammation, treats high blood pressure, protects liver health, and helps digestion.
–Carrots are high in vitamins which are great for your eye sight, skin, and hair.
The information on the benefits of the ingredients was researched from http://www.draxe.com