I came up with this recipe while making sweet potato brownies. I realized how great it is to use sweet potatoes as a healthier replacement for flour. I honestly think that these are some of the best muffins that I’ve ever made! They are gluten free, vegan, and refined sugar free. They are made with super clean ingredients, and taste very moist and flavorful. I like to eat these for breakfast, a snack, or even dessert. Enjoy!
Preparation + Cook Time: 60 minutes
Makes about 12 muffins
- 1 Sweet Potato
- 1 T Chia Seeds
- 1 C Almond Butter
- 1 Ripe Banana
- 1 1/2 t Cinnamon
- 1/4 C Maple Syrup (or honey)
- 1 t Vanilla Extract
- 1/4 t Salt
- 1/4 C Coconut Flour
- 1 t Baking Powder
- 2 T Melted Coconut Oil
- Optional: Pecans and Pumpkin Seeds for topping the muffins
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Boil some water in a medium sized pot. Peel the sweet potato completely. Cut into small pieces. Once the water is boiled, add the sweet potatoes to the water. Turn to a simmer and cook for about 15 minutes until fully cooked. The potatoes should be very soft. Set aside to cool down.
- In a small bowl, mix the chia seeds with 2.5 T water. Let it sit for 5 minutes until it turns into a thick gel.
- Add the sweet potatoes, the chia seed gel, and the rest of the ingredients into a food processor. Blend until smooth. (If you don’t have a food processor, you could add the ingredients to an electric mixer)
- Line muffin tins with paper liners. Scoop the batter into the muffin tins evenly. Optional: Add pecans or pumpkin seeds to the top of the muffins.
- Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes.
- Let them cool for 10 minutes before enjoying. I recommend storing them in the fridge.
Benefits of this recipe:
-Sweet potatoes are high in fiber, maintain a healthy blood pressure, and reduces inflammation. The high levels of vitamin C and E provide an immunity boost, support eye health, and prevent degenerative damage.
-Almond butter contains many essential nutrients that protects heart health, supports a healthy brain function, maintains skin health, helps control blood sugar levels, and maintains good bone and dental health.
-Bananas boost energy, are high in potassium, improves digestive health, and is a good source of brain, skin, and bone health-boosting manganese.
The information on the benefits of the ingredients was researched from http://www.medicalnewstoday.com and http://www.draxe.com