Making a delicious stew is a great way to combine a bunch of vitamin-packed vegetables into a healthy meal. This veggie-packed chickpea stew is hearty, filling, and simple to make. I would recommend serving this dish with basmati rice. Enjoy!
Preparation + Cook Time: Approximately 60 minutes
Makes about 7-8 servings
- 2 T of Olive Oil
- 1/2 of a White Onion, diced
- 1/2 t of Minced Garlic
- 1 Red Bell Pepper, chopped
- 1 Zucchini Squash, chopped
- 3 Large Carrots, chopped
- 1 Head of Cauliflower, chopped
- 15 oz of Canned Corn, drained
- 30 oz Chickpeas (This is equal to 2 cans), drained
- 1 14.5 oz of Canned Roma Tomatoes
- 1/4 C of Tomato Paste
- 1/4 C of Fresh Basil, chopped
- 1/4 C of Fresh Parsley, chopped
- 1/2 t of Dried Oregano, chopped
- 2 C of Vegetable Broth
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 1 C of Spinach, chopped
1. Once all of the veggies are chopped, turn a large pot on high heat. Add 2 T of olive oil. Sauté the onion and garlic. When they are cooked and browned, add the red pepper, carrots, zucchini squash, and cauliflower. Sauté for about 10 minutes. Turn the pot to a simmer.
2. Add the corn and chickpeas to the pot. Stir to evenly combine.
3. Add the canned tomatoes (including its juice) to the pot and the tomato paste. Stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
4. Add the basil, parsley, oregano, and bay leaves to the pot and stir.
5. Add the vegetable broth and stir. Cover the pot and simmer for 20 minutes. After the 20 minutes, all of the vegetables should be nice and tender.
6. Add the spinach and stir. Let the spinach wilt for about 2 minutes.
7. Serve up!
Benefits of this recipe:
-Tomatoes contain cancer-fighting antioxidants, they improve heart health, helps improve vision and eye health, benefits skin health, and protects bone health.
-Chickpeas help control blood sugar levels, improves digestion because of high fiber content, helps protect against heart disease, is a good source of protein, and contains many beneficial vitamins and minerals such as zinc, folate, phosphorus, and B vitamins.
-Carrots are very high in Vitamin A, which protects eye health and vision. They are high in antioxidants, can help lower cholesterol, help protect against cancer, improve immunity, boosts skin health, and helps improve brain function.
-Cauliflower helps lower cancer risk, fights inflammation, decreases risk of heart disease, provides high levels of vitamins and minerals, improves digestion and detoxification, helps balance hormones, and preserves eye health.
The information on the benefits of the ingredients was researched from http://www.healthline.com and http://www.draxe.com