One of my favorite meals to eat is a tasty curry with a side of rice! This chana masala recipe is rich in flavor with a savory tomato-based sauce. The green chile rice is the perfect compliment to the curry. Enjoy!
For the Green Chile Rice
- 1/2 C Yellow Onion
- 1 C Packed Spinach
- 1 C Packed Cilantro
- 2 T Olive Oil
- 1/2 t Minced Garlic
- 1/2 t Salt
- 1/2 t Black Pepper
- 1/2 C Mild Green Chile (I used mine out of a can from the brand Ortega)
- 1 C Long Grain White Basmati Rice
- 2 C Water
- Combine all of the ingredients in a blender or food processor except for the rice and water. Blend until liquified. Set aside.
- Combine the rice and water in a medium sized pot. Pour in the mixture from the blender. Bring to a boil. Simmer for 15 minutes until cooked. Set aside.
For the Chana Masala
- 1 1/2 C Yellow Onion
- 1/2 t Minced Garlic
- 1 T Olive Oil
- 1/4 C Mild Green Chiles
- 1 T Garam Masala
- 1 t Grated Ginger
- 1/4 t Salt
- 2 Cans of Diced Tomatoes and their juices (this equals 30 oz.)
- 2 Cans of Chickpeas, drained (this equals 30 oz.)
- 1 Can of Coconut Milk
- 1/2 C Fresh Cilantro, chopped
- Heat 1 T of Olive Oil in a wok. Add the onion and garlic and sauté until cooked.
- Add the green chiles and ginger and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Add in the garam masala and salt. Stir to combine. Cook for 1-2 minutes until it becomes fragrant.
- Add in the diced tomatoes and chickpeas. Cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the can of coconut milk. Stir. Turn the wok to low, put the lid on, and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Stir in the fresh cilantro.
- Serve in bowls with a scoop of Green Chile Rice and a scoop of Garam Masala.
A few of the many benefits of this recipe:
-Chickpeas help control blood sugar levels, improves digestion because of high fiber content, helps protect against heart disease, is a good source of protein, and contains many beneficial vitamins and minerals such as zinc, folate, phosphorus, and B vitamins.
-Tomatoes contain cancer-fighting antioxidants, they improve heart health, helps improve vision and eye health, benefits skin health, and protects bone health.
-Spinach aids in detoxifying the body and supporting liver function. It is a great source of fiber, boosts immunity, preserves skin health, and defends against heart disease.