Ever since the weather here in California has been so hot, I have been craving fresh salads for almost every meal. I put together a vegan version of one of my favorites: Caesar salad! This caesar contains a dairy-free, homemade dressing and is topped with capers, avocado, slivered almonds, and chickpea “croutons”. Enjoy!
Preparation + Cook Time: 60 minutes
- 1/2 C Unsweetened, Unflavored Cashew Milk
- 1/2 C Tahini (I prefer Sadaf brand)
- Juice of 1/2 of a Lemon
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1/2 tsp Minced Garlic
- 1 tsp Dijon Mustard
- 1 Tbsp Nutritional Yeast
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Pepper
- 1 Can of Chickpeas, Drained
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 tsp Nutritional Yeast
- 1 tsp Dried Basil
- Dash of Salt & Pepper
- 1 Head of Romaine Lettuce, chopped
- Avocado, chopped
- Slivered Almonds
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Make your chickpea “croutons”. In a small bowl, combine the chickpeas with the 1 Tbsp Olive Oil, 1 tsp Nutritional Yeast, 1 tsp Dried Basil, and dash of salt & pepper. Transfer onto a lined baking sheet and bake for 45 minutes until the chickpeas are crispy.
- While the chickpeas are baking, combine all of the ingredients for the salad dressing in a small container. Whisk together until completely combined.
- When you are ready to serve, put the chopped romaine lettuce in a large bowl.
- Top the lettuce with your desired amount of the caesar dressing and toss.
- Top your salad with chopped avocado, a sprinkle of capers, slivered almonds, and the chickpea “croutons”.
A few of the many benefits of this recipe:
-Chickpeas help control blood sugar levels, improves digestion because of high fiber content, helps protect against heart disease, is a good source of protein, and contains many beneficial vitamins and minerals such as zinc, folate, phosphorus, and B vitamins.
-Tahini is a great source of calcium, helps regulate blood pressure and cholesterol, it can help balance hormones, and helps improve skin health.
-Romaine Lettuce is a great source of antioxidants, boosts heart health, promotes healthy eye sight, boosts immunity, and helps digestion.