A classic curry is one of my favorite meals- flavorful, filling, and nutritious. This coconut-milk based curry is packed with tasty vegetables and tofu. If you prefer to use different vegetables or protein source, just swap it out for your preferred ingredient. Enjoy!
Preparation + Cook time= 45 minutes
Makes 4-5 servings
- 14 oz of (firm) organic tofu, chopped into cubes
- 2 Tbsp of olive oil, divided
- 1 russet potato, chopped into cubes
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 large head of broccoli, chopped
- 1/4 tsp of minced garlic
- 1″ piece of ginger, grated
- 1 Tbsp of fresh lemongrass, sliced
- 1 Tbsp of yellow curry powder
- 1/4 tsp of turmeric
- 1/2 tsp of coriander
- 1 can of coconut milk
- 2 cups of vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup of green onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup of fresh cilantro, chopped
- salt and pepper
- optional garnish, chopped mango, lime slices, fresh chopped cilantro
- Sauté the chopped tofu in 1 Tbsp of olive oil in a wok. Sprinkle it with salt and pepper. Cook until the tofu is heated through and is slightly browned on all edges. Remove the tofu from the wok and set aside.
- Heat another 1 Tbsp of olive oil in the wok. Add the potato, bell pepper, broccoli, and garlic. As the vegetables are getting tender, add the lemongrass and ginger. Heat through for several minutes. If the vegetables start sticking to the pan, add a splash of water.
- Next, add the curry, coriander, turmeric, and a dash of black pepper. Thoroughly mix into the vegetables and keep stirring until fragrant.
- Now add the coconut milk and vegetable broth. Mix evenly throughout the vegetables. Cover the top of the wok and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Uncover the wok. Stir the tofu back into the curry, along with the cilantro and green onion. Heat for several minutes until the curry adapts the flavor from the herbs.
- Add more salt and pepper if neccessary. Serve your curry over a bed of rice, topped with a lime slice, chopped mango, cashews, and fresh cilantro.
Benefits of this recipe:
-Tofu contains a very small amount of fat, but a large amount of protein. Tofu lowers cholesterol levels, is beneficial for kidney health, and has an excellent source of iron. It also helps in strengthening bones and improves metabolic rate.
-Broccoli aids in digestion, prevents chronic diseases, protects liver health, boosts brain health, reduces allergies, contains anti-aging properties, and improves metabolism.
-Ginger relieves nausea, treats cold and flu symptoms, aids in digestion, removes excess gas, reduces arthritis pain, detoxifies the body, prevents menstrual cramps, and prevents infection in the body.
The information on the benefits of the ingredients was researched from http://www.draxe.com and http://www.organicfacts.net