This recipe is creamy and delicious, packed with healthy vegetables and exploding with savory Italian flavor. I like to enjoy this dish with a side of vegan sausage for some extra protein. Enjoy!
Preparation + Cook time= 40 minutes
Makes 5-6 servings
- 1 shallot, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 zucchini, chopped
- 1.5 cups of broccolini, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 3 Tbsp of olive oil
- 1/4 tsp of minced garlic
- 1 Tbsp of balsamic vinegar
- 1 14.5 oz can of diced tomatoes
- 2 cups of arborio rice
- 4 cups of low sodium vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup of fresh chopped basil
- 1/4 cup of fresh chopped Italian parsley
- salt and pepper
- Sauté the shallot and garlic in 2 Tbsp of olive oil in a large pot until they are soft and slightly browned.
- Keeping the pot on high heat, add the red bell pepper, zucchini, broccolini, and carrot to the pot with 1 Tbsp of olive oil and 1 Tbsp of balsamic vinegar. Stir the veggies around in the pot for several minutes.
- Add the can of diced tomatoes, including the juice.
- Now add the rice and mix thoroughly into the veggies.
- Slowly add the vegetable broth to the pot and stir. Bring the pot to a boil.
- Cover the pot and turn the heat to low, as the pot simmers for 15 minutes.
- Remove the lid and stir in the basil and parsley. Add salt and pepper as needed. Serve up!
Benefits of this recipe:
-Tomatoes contain cancer-fighting antioxidants, they improve heart health, helps improve vision and eye health, benefits skin health, and protects bone health.
-Carrots are very high in Vitamin A, which protects eye health and vision. They are high in antioxidants, can help lower cholesterol, help protect against cancer, improve immunity, boosts skin health, and helps improve brain function.
-Zucchini is a good source of energizing B vitamins, has anti-inflammatory properties that can benefit heart health, can help control diabetes, helps improve digestion, and help can balance the thyroid.
The information on the benefits of the ingredients was researched from http://www.healthline.com and http://www.draxe.com