Preparation + Cook Time: 45 minutes
Makes 7-8 servings
- 1/2 a red onion, diced
- 1/2 tsp of minced garlic
- 2 Tbsp of avocado oil or olive oil
- 2 stalks of celery, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1 Tbsp of cumin
- 1 tsp of paprika
- 1/4 cup of fresh cilantro, chopped
- salt and pepper
- 1 can of corn, drained
- 3 cans of black beans (not drained)
- 1 can of diced tomatoes (not drained)
- juice of 1 lime
- 2 cups of vegetable broth
- Optional: avocado and red pepper flakes
- In a large soup pot, sauté the onion and garlic in the avocado oil.
- Once the onions and garlic start to get soft, add the celery, carrots, green onions, and bell peppers. Sauté until tender.
- Add the cumin, paprika, cilantro, corn, black beans, diced tomatoes, lime juice, vegetable broth, and desired amount of salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil. Once boiled, cover the pot and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Remove 6 cups of soup from the pot and put it into the food processor. Pureé until smooth. Transfer the pureéd soup back into the pot and mix into the remainder of the soup.
- Serve in bowls topped with chopped avocado and red pepper flakes.
Benefits of this recipe:
-Tomatoes contain cancer-fighting antioxidants, they improve heart health, helps improve vision and eye health, benefits skin health, and protects bone health.
-Beans are high in protein and fiber. They are filled with many valuable vitamins and minerals such as iron, magnesium, potassium, vitamin B1 thiamine, etc. These vitamins and minerals improve cardiovascular health, protects against cancer, maintains digestive health, provides long lasting energy, and keeps blood sugar stable.
-Bell peppers are high in antioxidants, they improve eye health, and prevent anemia.