These tasty oatcakes are made with an oat flour base, spiced with sweet maple cinnamon plus slivered almonds as an added crunch. They make for a delightful Sunday morning breakfast, paired with some fruit salad and herbal tea. Enjoy!
Ingredients for caramelized apple topping:
- 1 Tbsp of coconut oil
- 1 small honey crisp apple, peeled and chopped into small bite-sized pieces
- 2 tsp of lemon juice
- 1 tsp of cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp of maple syrup
Ingredients for the oatcakes:
- 1 1/4 cups of oat flour
- 1 Tbsp of cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp of salt
- 1/4 cup of slivered almonds
- 1/2 tsp of baking soda
- 1/2 cup of oat milk
- 1/2 cup of apple sauce
- 4 Tbsp of maple syrup
- 1 tsp of vanilla extract
- coconut oil for greasing the pan
- First, make your caramelized apple topping. Heat 1 Tbsp of coconut oil in a small sauce pan on medium-high heat. Add the chopped apple pieces, lemon juice, maple syrup, and cinnamon. Sauté the apples until they are soft and cooked through. Set the sauce pan aside with the lid on.
- Next, make the batter. In a large bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients: the oat flour, cinnamon, salt, slivered almonds, and baking soda.
- Now add in the oat milk, apple sauce, maple syrup, and vanilla extract. Whisk to combine.
- Heat a lightly oiled griddle/frying pan over medium-high heat. Scoop about a 1/4 cup of the batter onto the griddle. Cook each side until golden brown.
- Serve the oatcakes hot with a scoop of caramelized apple topping. Optional: drizzle with more maple syrup.
Benefits of this recipe:
-Apples are high in fiber, a good source of vitamin C, and is a great source of antioxidants.
-Oats are high in fiber, reduces heart disease risk, and lowers cholesterol.