This delicious one-pot curry is an easy 40 minute dinner that I like to whip up on a week night. It is rich in flavor and very satisfying. This recipe makes about 6 servings and will last in the fridge in a sealed container for about 4 days. Enjoy!
- 1/2 of a white or yellow onion, diced
- 2 Tbsp of coconut oil (divided)
- 1/4 tsp of garlic
- 1″ of ginger root, shredded
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 sweet potato, chopped (keep skin on)
- 1 Tbsp + 1 tsp of curry powder
- 1 can of coconut milk
- 4 cups of vegetable broth
- 1 cup of uncooked green lentils
- 1 cup of uncooked quinoa
- salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup of fresh cilantro, chopped
- juice of 1 lime
- handful of chopped kale
- chopped cashews for garnish
- Sauté the onion in 1 Tbsp of the coconut oil in a large pot on med-high heat until the onions are soft and golden. Add 1 more Tbsp of coconut oil to the pot along with the ginger, garlic, bell pepper, and sweet potato. Cook for about 5-6 minutes until the veggies start to get soft.
- Add the curry powder and stir to mix in evenly with the contents of the pot. Now add the coconut milk, vegetable broth, lentils, quinoa, and a dash of salt and pepper. Bring the pot to a boil. Once boiled, put the lid on the pot and simmer for 20 minutes until the lentils and quinoa are completely cooked.
- Remove the lid off of the pot. Add in the fresh cilantro, lime juice, and kale. Keep stirring the pot for about 3-4 minutes until the kale is wilted.
- Serve in bowls and top with chopped cashews as garnish.
Benefits of this recipe:
-Quinoa is loaded with Potassium and Magnesium which supports a healthy heart. Eating quinoa also supports bone health, a healthy digestive system, and contains disease-fighting antioxidants.
-Lentils can help lower cholesterol, are high in protein, good for digestive health, and beneficial for heart health.
-Curry powder helps fight infections in the body, helps digestion, detoxifies the liver, and helps increase the metabolic rate.
-Sweet potatoes are high in fiber, maintain a healthy blood pressure, and reduces inflammation. The high levels of vitamin C and E provide an immunity boost, support eye health, and prevent degenerative damage.
The information on the benefits of the ingredients was researched from http://www.draxe.com