This thick and creamy potato leek soup includes broccoli and carrots, with subtle hints of ginger and lemon. Devour this soup as a light dinner with a side of fresh bread. Bon Appétit!
- 2 Tbsp of olive oil
- 2 leeks, chopped
- 2 russet potatoes, peeled & chopped into small bites
- 3 carrots, peeled & chopped
- 2 stalks of celery, chopped
- 6 cups of broccoli
- 1/2 tsp of minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp of minced ginger
- 1 Tbsp of fresh or dried chopped thyme
- 1 tsp of fresh or dried dill
- salt and pepper
- 1 can of coconut milk
- 3 cups of vegetable broth
- juice of 1/2 a lemon
- Heat the oil in a large soup pot. Add the leeks, potato, carrots, celery, and broccoli. Sauté on medium-high heat for 10-12 minutes until the vegetables are tender. Add more oil if needed.
- Add the garlic, ginger, thyme, dill, and desired amount of salt and pepper. Continue to cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the coconut milk and vegetable broth to the pot. Bring to a rolling boil. Once boiled, turn down to low heat, put the lid on, and simmer for 20-25 minutes.
- Add the fresh lemon juice to the pot. Stir to evenly incorporate.
- Remove 4 cups of the soup from the pot and transfer into a food processor. Pureé until smooth. Return the pureéd soup back into the pot and stir to combine.
- Serve in soup bowls. Enjoy!
Benefits of this recipe:
-Carrots are very high in Vitamin A, which protects eye health and vision. They are high in antioxidants, can help lower cholesterol, help protect against cancer, improve immunity, boosts skin health, and helps improve brain function.
-Broccoli aids in digestion, prevents chronic diseases, protects liver health, boosts brain health, reduces allergies, contains anti-aging properties, and improves metabolism.
-Potatoes help to reduce inflammation in the body, lower blood pressure, stimulates brain function, prevents formation of kidney stones, relieves high blood pressure, prevents heart diseases, and facilitates digestion.
-Ginger relieves nausea, treats cold and flu symptoms, aids in digestion, removes excess gas, reduces arthritis pain, detoxifies the body, prevents menstrual cramps, and prevents infection in the body.
The information on the benefits of the ingredients was researched from http://www.draxe.com and http://www.organicfacts.net