This dish is a tasty, vegetarian alternative to a classic beef bolognese sauce. The recipe for this sauce is thick and creamy due to the texture of the red lentils. It is rich in flavor and simply fresh from the savory basil, thyme, and oregano. Enjoy!
Makes 4 servings
- 1 cup of uncooked red lentils
- 1 8 oz package of spaghetti
- 1-2 Tbsp of olive oil
- 1/2 of a white or yellow onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1/2 tsp of garlic
- 2 1/2 cups of mushrooms, finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp of freshly chopped basil
- 1 tsp of dried oregano
- 1 tsp of dried thyme
- salt and pepper
- 2 cups of jarred marinara sauce
- salt and pepper
- Cook the lentils according to the package. Once cooked, set them aside.
- Simultaneously, cook the spaghetti according to the package. Once cooked, set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil. Sauté the onions for 2-3 minutes until they become translucent. Then add the garlic, bell pepper, carrots, and mushrooms.
- Once the vegetables start to get tender, add in the basil, oregano, thyme, and desired amount of salt and pepper.
- Once the lentils are fully cooked, add them and the marinara sauce to the vegetables. Stir to combine. Put the lid on, turn the heat down to low, and simmer for 12-13 minutes.
- Serve by placing the spaghetti on the bottom of a bowl with the bolognese layered on top. Add fresh basil on top for garnish.
Benefits of this recipe:
-Mushrooms are a great source of protein, fiber, antioxidants, and high in B vitamins.
-Carrots are very high in Vitamin A, which protects eye health and vision. They are high in antioxidants, can help lower cholesterol, help protect against cancer, improve immunity, boosts skin health, and helps improve brain function.
-Bell peppers are high in antioxidants, they improve eye health, and prevent anemia.
-Lentils can help lower cholesterol, are high in protein, good for digestive health, and beneficial for heart health.
The information on the benefits of the ingredients was researched from http://www.draxe.com