These savory Asian cuisine-inspired egg rolls are baked to perfection and filled with fresh vegetables and tofu. They are paired with a zesty dipping sauce, consisting of the perfect balance of spicy and sweet. Enjoy!
Makes about 10 egg rolls
Ingredients for the Egg Rolls:
- 1 Tbsp of sesame oil
- 1/2 of a white onion, chopped
- 1″ piece of ginger, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, julienned
- 1/2 tsp of minced garlic
- 5 cups of shredded cabbage
- 1 14 oz block of firm tofu, crumbled into small chunks
- 2-3 Tbsp of soy sauce
- Dash of black pepper
- 1/4 cup of fresh cilantro, chopped
- About 10 egg roll wrappers
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a large skillet, heat the sesame oil. Sauté the onion until it starts to get translucent. Then add the ginger, bell pepper, garlic, and cabbage. Heat on medium-high for about 4-5 minutes until the cabbage is fully wilted.
- Next add the tofu to the vegetables. Continue to stir to evenly incorporate the tofu into the vegetables. Cook until the vegetables are fully cooked and the tofu is golden.
- Now add the soy sauce, black pepper, and cilantro and continue to heat for an additional 2-3 minutes. Turn the heat off and let it cool for about 10 minutes.
- It is now time to wrap your egg rolls. Step 1: Lay one egg roll wrapper flat on a cutting board. Scoop a large spoonful of the veggie/tofu mixture into the middle like the photo below.
- Step 2: Fold the right corner towards the middle of the roll.
- Step 3: Fold both edges into the center so that it resembles an envelope.
- Step 4: Starting from the right side, tightly fold the wrapper into a roll.
- Poke some holes into the egg rolls with a fork so that they don’t burst in the oven. Brush the tops with a little bit of oil. Bake for 12 minutes. Remove the egg rolls from the oven and flip them to the other side and bake for another 12 minutes.
Ingredients for the Asian Ginger-Almond Dipping Sauce:
- 2 Tbsp of almond butter
- 2 Tbsp of honey
- 2 Tbsp of soy sauce
- 2 tsp of apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp of siracha
- 1/2 tsp of shredded ginger
- juice of 1/2 a lime
- Whisk all of the sauce ingredients together in a small bowl until smooth and creamy.
- Set aside in the fridge until you are ready to serve.
Benefits of this recipe:
-Tofu contains a very small amount of fat, but a large amount of protein. Tofu lowers cholesterol levels, is beneficial for kidney health, and has an excellent source of iron. It also helps in strengthening bones and improves metabolic rate.
-Cabbage boosts the immune system, fights inflammation and arthritis, reduces osteoporosis risk, and promotes a healthy gut.
-Ginger relieves nausea, treats cold and flu symptoms, aids in digestion, removes excess gas, reduces arthritis pain, detoxifies the body, prevents menstrual cramps, and prevents infection in the body.
The information on the benefits of the ingredients was researched from http://www.draxe.com and http://www.organicfacts.net