A classic curry is one of my all time favorite meals- it is flavorful, filling, and nutritious. This Thai cuisine-inspired curry is packed with tasty vegetables, tofu, and aromatic spices. Enjoy!
Makes 4-5 servings
- 1 14 oz block of firm tofu
- 2 Tbsp of olive oil, divided
- salt and pepper
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 zucchini, chopped
- 1 russet potato, peeled + cubed
- 1/2 of a red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cups of chopped broccoli
- 1-2 Tbsp of yellow curry paste (depending on how spicy you prefer) *I use 2 Tbsp and it definitely has a spicy kick!
- 1 can of coconut milk
- 1 Tbsp of soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp of honey
- Juice of 1/2 a lime
- 1/4 cup of chopped fresh cilantro
- Optional toppings: chopped cashews and fresh cilantro
- In a large wok, fry the tofu in 1 Tbsp of olive oil. Add some salt and pepper for flavor. Once it is cooked and golden, remove the tofu from the wok and set aside in a separate container.
- In the same wok, sauté the onion in 1 Tbsp of olive oil. After 3-4 minutes, add the zucchini, potatoes, red pepper, and broccoli. Cook for about 7 minutes until the vegetables are tender.
- Add the curry paste until it is evenly distributed into the veggies. Then add the coconut milk, cilantro, soy sauce, lime juice, and honey.
- Bring to a boil. Once boiled, cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the tofu to the wok. Simmer for an additional 10 minutes.
- Serve this curry on top of some basmati rice and top it with freshly chopped cilantro and chopped cashews.
Benefits of this recipe:
-Tofu contains a very small amount of fat, but a large amount of protein. Tofu lowers cholesterol levels, is beneficial for kidney health, and has an excellent source of iron. It also helps in strengthening bones and improves metabolic rate.
-Broccoli aids in digestion, prevents chronic diseases, protects liver health, boosts brain health, reduces allergies, contains anti-aging properties, and improves metabolism.
-Bell pepper can help reduce the risk of cancer and heart disease, supports healthy eyes, improves immunity, helps maintain good mental health, and keeps your skin glowing and healthy.
The information on the benefits of the ingredients was researched from http://www.draxe.com and http://www.organicfacts.net