Summertime is the perfect season to enjoy fresh and nourishing grain salads, like this lemon-dill grain salad with peas & carrots. I personally love the fragrant and delicious flavor of fresh dill, which gives this recipe its superstar flavor profile. Enjoy!
- 1 cup of farro (uncooked)
- 1 1/4 cups of shredded carrots
- 1 1/2 cups of frozen peas
- 3 Tbsp of lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp of olive oil
- 3 Tbsp of fresh dill, chopped
- 3 Tbsp of chives, chopped
- 1/4 tsp of minced garlic
- large dash of salt and pepper
- Boil 2.5 cups of water on the stove top. Add the farro to the water and turn it to low heat. Put the lid on and simmer until fully cooked (about 20 minutes). Set aside to cool.
- Next, place the frozen peas in a microwaveable container with water covering the peas. Microwave for about 1-2 minutes until the peas are defrosted. Drain the water from the peas. Set aside to cool.
- Make the dressing. Whisk together the lemon juice, olive oil, dill, chives, garlic, and salt & pepper in a small container.
- In a large bowl, combine the farro, carrots, peas, and dressing. Stir until everything is evenly incorporated. Store in the fridge until you are ready to eat. Serve cold.
Benefits of this recipe:
-Peas are an excellent source of plant-based protein, high in fiber, and they support healthy blood sugar control.
-Carrots are very high in Vitamin A, which protects eye health and vision. They are high in antioxidants, can help lower cholesterol, help protect against cancer, improve immunity, boosts skin health, and helps improve brain function.
-Farro is an excellent source of plant-based protein, high in fiber, and it contains a wide range of antioxidants.
The information on the benefits of the ingredients was researched from http://www.healthline.com