This flavorful salad has a base of mixed greens and citrus fruits, topped with roasted beets and pistachios, then dressed with a zesty orange-ginger dressing. Enjoy!
Makes 2-3 servings
- 5 small red beets, peeled & sliced into wedges
- 5 small golden beets, peeled & sliced into wedges
- olive oil
- salt & pepper
- 1 1/2 oranges, peeled & sliced into wedges
- 1/2 of a grapefruit, peeled & sliced into wedges
- A few handfuls of mixed greens
- 1/4 cup of pistachios
- orange-ginger dressing (recipe below)
Ingredients for dressing:
- 2 Tbsp of apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tbsp of honey
- 2 Tbsp of orange juice
- 1 Tbsp of olive oil
- 1/2 tsp of grated ginger
- 1/2 tsp of orange zest
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Line a baking tray with foil. Place the beet wedges on the tray and drizzle with olive oil. Next, season with your desired amount of salt and pepper. Bake for about 35 minutes, or until beets are tender.
- Make the dressing by whisking together all of the dressing ingredients in a small bowl.
- Arrange the salad on a plate. Layer the mixed greens first, followed by the oranges & grapefruit, then the beets, and lastly the pistachios. Finally, drizzle the dressing on top of everything. Add more salt and pepper if desired.
Benefits of this recipe:
-Beets are high in antioxidants, contain anti-inflammatory properties, supports brain health, supports digestion, can improve athletic performance, and keeps blood pressure in check.
-Oranges have been shown to decrease blood cholesterol levels, prevent anemia, is a great source of fiber, and is very high in vitamin C.
The information on the benefits of the ingredients was researched from http://www.healthline.com.