Lentil dahl is one of my all time favorite meals. It is so satisfying and nourishing to the body. The cucumber-dill yogurt sauce complements this dish by bringing a tangy and refreshing element to the meal. Enjoy!
Makes about 4 servings
Ingredients for the lentil dahl:
- 1 Tbsp of coconut oil
- 1/2 of a yellow onion, chopped
- 1/2 tsp of minced garlic
- 2 roma tomatoes, diced
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 tsp of curry powder
- 1/2 tsp of turmeric
- 1 tsp of cumin
- 1 tsp of chili flakes
- 2 tsp of paprika
- dash of black pepper
- 1 1/4 cup of green lentils
- 2 cans of coconut milk
- 1 Tbsp of soy sauce
- a few handfuls of spinach
Ingredients for cucumber-dill yogurt sauce:
- 3/4 cup of plain unsweetened dairy-free yogurt (I use the Forager yogurt brand here)
- juice of 1/2 of a lemon
- 2 Tbsp of fresh chopped dill
- dash of salt and pepper
- 1/4 tsp of minced garlic
- 1/4 cup of chopped english cucumber
- In a large pot, heat the coconut oil on medium-high. Sauté the onion in the oil until it becomes soft. Then, add the garlic, tomatoes, and carrots. Keep stirring the vegetables around in the pot the cook.
- After 4-5 minutes, add the curry, turmeric, cumin, chili flakes, paprika, and black pepper. Stir to fully incorporate all of the spices into the vegetables.
- Next add the lentils, coconut milk, and soy sauce. Bring to a boil. Once boiled, put the lid on the pot, turn down the heat to low, and simmer for 35 minutes. Make sure to stir the pot every 7-8 minutes.
- After 35 minutes, add the spinach and continue to cook for a few minutes until the spinach is fully wilted.
- Now make the yogurt sauce. Combine all of the ingredients together in a small bowl. Set aside in the fridge until ready to serve.
- Serve each bowl with a scoop of lentil dahl, a scoop of rice, and top everything with a dollop of the yogurt sauce.
Benefits of this recipe:
-Lentils can help lower cholesterol, are high in protein, good for digestive health, and beneficial for heart health.
-Carrots are very high in Vitamin A, which protects eye health and vision. They are high in antioxidants, can help lower cholesterol, help protect against cancer, improve immunity, boosts skin health, and helps improve brain function.
-Tomatoes contain cancer-fighting antioxidants, they improve heart health, helps improve vision and eye health, benefits skin health, and protects bone health.
-Spinach aids in detoxifying the body and supporting liver function. It is a great source of fiber, boosts immunity, preserves skin health, and defends against heart disease.