Ever since I stopped drinking coffee about a year ago, I have been completely hooked on tea. Drinking herbal teas can heal many ailments in the body, keep you hydrated, and are filled with immune-strengthening antioxidants. Tea benefits your wellbeing and nourishes the body from within. Here are a few of my current favorite teas that I brew at home and the benefits that it can bring to you.
- Matcha Green Tea
Matcha is absolutely my favorite tea at the moment. I love that it wakes me up and makes me feel alert without making me jittery. It actually makes me feel grounded and relaxed. I make matcha part of my morning ritual so it is definitely something I look forward to drinking every morning. Here are some of the benefits of matcha that I love:
- Boosts energy while keeping you calm
- Burns fat and boosts metabolism
- May help prevent cancer (specifically prostate cancer, bladder cancer, breast cancer, and colon cancer according to many studies)
- Detoxifies the body of unwanted toxins
- Lowers type 2 diabetes risk
As I breifly mentioned in my blog post, 8 Wellness Tips to ensure a Healthy & Happy Day I add unsweetened coconut milk, maca powder, and ashwaganda powder into my matcha. These added superfood powders help to reduce anxiety, improve brain function, balance estrogen levels, and enhances mood. This is why my matcha tea is my morning superpower drink. There are so many benefits!
2. Dandy Blend
Dandy Blend tea is strangely similar to a coffee taste. If anyone is trying to wean themselves off of coffee, I would highly recommend trying Dandy Blend. It is easy to find on amazon. It is an herbal tea blend mix of barley, rye, chicory root, and dandelion root. As an afternoon pick-me-up, I like to enjoy one teaspoon of dandy blend mixed with 8 oz of hot water for my tasty, coffee-like drink. It has a very rich, earthy taste and is great plain or mixed with almond milk. Some of its benefits are:
- The dandelion root has potential to kill cancer cells, reduces cholesterol, is rich in antioxidants, supports liver health, and fights bacteria in the body.
- The chicory root supports the digestive system, improves cholesterol, reduces stress, and can prevent diabetes.
3. Green Tea Kombucha
I buy the “Yogi Tea” brand of Green Tea Kombucha. It is one of the best tasting teas I have ever tried! This tea is a combination of green tea, lemongrass, spearmint leaf, and kombucha. It is very soothing on the tummy and I can’t get enough of the taste. I like to enjoy it when I am at work to keep myself feeling healthy and focused. Benefits I love are:
- Green tea improves memory, prevents cancer, lowers blood pressure, and reduces risk of heart disease.
- Lemongrass reduces headaches, reduces stomach aches, and boosts energy.
- Kombucha supports a healthy gut, may improve mental state, and helps maintain a healthy liver
4. Peppermint-Ginger-Burdock Detox Tea
This is one of my favorite detox teas whenever I feel like my body needs a reset. I buy mine from Tealyra which is available on amazon here. This tea contains burdock, dandelion root, peppermint, red clover, licorice, yellowdock, and ginger. Here are the reasons why I love this tea:
- The peppermint enhances the taste of this tea but it also cleanses from the inside out.
- The Burdock and dandelion root flush toxins out of the body. They also improve skin conditions, high in antioxidants, high in fiber, and help to treat diabetes.
- Ginger helps stimulate the production of the body’s digestive enzymes which helps soothe the stomach. It enhances immunity and keeps cholesterol in check.
Nettle Leaf Tea is new for me. It comes from the Stinging Nettle Plant, which does seem a little intimidating from the name. I have been reading about its benefits for a while now and was fascinated how people have been using it medicinally since the ancient Egyptian times. So I finally decided to try it…and I really like it! The taste is slightly woody and grassy, but still very drinkable. Here are some benefits and common uses:
- Home remedy for bladder infections
- Supports immune system
- Reduces menstrual cramps
- Control blood sugar
- Improves digestion
- Helps soothe skin conditions (by drinking it or letting the tea cool and applying topically to skin for healing scarring or eczema)
To wrap up, there are so many benefits of herbal teas that you may not realize. I believe that it is much better to use these properties to heal your ailments such as menstrual cramps, headaches, and stomach aches before using medications like Tylenol or Advil. Let your body try to heal the natural way using the sources from the earth. All of these advantages can create so much goodness for your body to help you create your healthiest life.