Summer is finally here and I could not be more excited! This recipe is the perfect appetizer to bring to a summer bbq or for a light sunday brunch. These tartines have a base of fresh bread, covered in a homemade, cashew herb spread. It is topped with fresh nectarine slices, a drizzle of honey balsamic dressing, and fresh chopped basil. Enjoy!
- 2 cups of unsalted cashews
- juice of 1 lemon
- 3 Tbsp of apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp of salt
- dash of black pepper
- 1/4 cup of nutritional yeast
- 1 Tbsp of olive oil
- 3 Tbsp of water
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 2 tsp of minced garlic
- 1 tsp of dried dill
- 1/3 cup fresh parsley
- 4 Tbsp honey
- 4 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- Sliced baguette or any kind of bakery bread
- 1-2 nectarines, sliced thin
- fresh basil, chopped (about 1/2 cup-1 cup)
- First, make the cashew herb spread. In a food processor, purée the cashews, lemon, apple cider vinegar, salt, pepper, nutritional yeast, olive oil, and water. Once it is smooth and creamy, add the green onions, minced garlic, dried dill and fresh parsley. Purée until smooth. Tip: do not purée the green onions and parsley completely. There should still be some texture from the herbs.
- Next, make the sweet balsamic dressing. Combine the honey and balsamic vinegar in a small bowl and whisk it together. Set aside.
- Toast the slices of baguette. You can toast as many slices as you wish to serve. You are now ready to assemble the bruschetta. Lay out all the pieces of toast on a tray. Spread the cashew herb spread on top of each piece of toast. Then add the sliced nectarines. Next, drizzle the honey balsamic dressing over each bruschetta. Top each one with a sprinkle of fresh chopped basil and cracked black pepper.
Tip: You may have extra cashew herb spread remaining. This works great as a tasty dip for chips!
Benefits of this recipe:
-Cashews protect bone health and promote heart health. They also contain many important proteins and minerals such as calcium, magnesium, iron, zinc, and B vitamins.
-Nectarines are high in antioxidants, promotes better digestion, enhances eye health, stabilizes blood sugar, and improves heart health.